Thursday, July 31, 2008

Marilyn Monroe- Thanks Meg!




So first, I want to thank Megan for getting me started on this topic. For those of you who don't know, Meg and I happen to be the 2 nuttiest Marilyn Monroe fans out there. I wanted to tell you all how I became so enamoured by her (Marilyn, not Megan!!)




It all started when I was in the 11th grade. I had Mrs. Coco for English and I adored her. One day she gave us an assignment, write a biography on someone - dead or alive. I pondered and pondered on who I should write about. I was at a loss. I confided in Mrs. Coco and asked her to give me some ideas as I couldn't think of a single person that I wanted to spend time researching.


She said to me in her sweet voice "Why don't you try Marilyn Monroe, I think you will really enjoy her story".




Ok I thought. At that point in my life I heard of her, but didn't really know her. All I knew was that she was blond and died very young.




So the research began. This was when the internet was just coming into play, and I can still remember sitting in the library on the "internet" finding any information I could on Marilyn Monroe. I became so obsessed that I even began reading books on her! Just for fun!




When I turned in my report to Mrs. Coco, I felt so proud. All my research, all the time I put into it. I was so happy about this report, and I was even happier because I discovered Marilyn Monroe. The timeless blond beauty, that the world adored.


And so the obsession began. I started to collect anything and everything Marilyn Monroe. I have an amazing collection of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia, and I cherish all of it!




I often ask myself what would the world be like if Marilyn's life wasnt cut short? Would she still have as much of an impact today if she was alive?




Marilyn would have turned 83 on June 1st this year.




August 5th she will be dead for 46 years.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, I can't believe she'll be dead for forty six years. It seems so long. Maybe its better that she was young. There is no ugly hag pictures of her. She will always remain a beauty.

Megan said...

Nice post Nikki....I think I might cry...and you are by far her number one fan...no joke.